Part 5: A shadow from the other side

I grew up in a small village named Titabor. We lived in a rented house or you can say a hut. It had a ceiling with a wide hole in it. During summer the owner would cut off the current supply to save his electricity bill. The bathroom was far away from our little house. My Mom had to work hard to manage the house hold. Most of my childhood went by playing on haystack with my friend. Her name was Mamu.
We lived in that village till I was four or five years old; old enough to attend school. Though I was very young, I still have clear memories of many incidents. Some were good, memorable ones like going to picnic in a truck, my birthday celebration. Some were not so good like a snake almost falling on top of me or being separated from my friend forever. But the most vivid memory that I could recall was the memory of a nightmare. A nightmare that I had seen night after night, till my last night in that house.
The nightmare started with me going deep into the forest behind our house. The forest started where the village fence ends. My friend and I would always venture into it. We would listen to the song of birds and occasionally find woodcutters chopping down trees. In my dream, I would find myself walking deep into the forest. There I would find a well and suddenly, water starts pouring out of it. The next moment the entire area was overflowing with its water.


I never told about it to anyone, not even my mom and never thought much about it. One day, as Mamu and I were playing, we saw some people from our village going to the forest with axe. So we followed them. It was a nice sunny day. We went further than we usually go. There was huge tree and some of the men climbed up and started chopping down the tree. We watched in awe, how a huge thing was brought down by some small beings. Suddenly I saw a large shadow pass by us. Too large for human and too small for a tree. I didn’t think much and we came back home after a while. That was the last day that I was with my beloved friend. Since that day, Mamu wouldn’t stop crying. She wouldn’t eat or sleep but kept crying. Finally her parents took her to some Ojha (witch doctor or someone who performs an exorcism). But that’s what people from my village said. Her parents moved away from that village as soon as they could. I haven’t heard of her or seen her since. There were rumours in the village about her strange behaviour. Some said that she was behaving violently, that she was possessed by some spirits while we were in the forest. Some even claimed to have seen her eating up a cock from the neighbour. But these were rumours. If something strange happens in the village there would be people making up all sorts of things. But the shadow that we saw and the eeriness of it was something that I could forget.

Whatever happened to her scared her parents so much, they left in a hurry. But my dream still continued till the last night spent in that little house. Thinking of the nightmare still sends a chill through me even today. I cannot explain why but it had always scared me and still does.


PREVIOUS                                                                                    NEXT

Comments

Best article contest