Part 3: Knock Knock !... Anyone home ?

I was once travelling through the Kaziranga National Park, to Guwahati. After crossing the national Park, there was a mountainous area called Burapahar. The place mainly has one or two resorts and a tea garden (upper Assam area is filled with tea gardens). 


There was a house situated in the middle of the forest that covered the entire Burapahar area. Some of my friends told me that the house was haunted. People have heard strange noises and seen things that they couldn’t explain.


So I decided to spend the night in the abandoned house and see what the fuss is really about. I don’t believe in the existence of ghosts, they are just tall tales, people trying to scare others. Besides, it’s just one night. What could possibly go wrong!
So I drove my Maruti Alto towards to jungle……
There it was! Oh, what a beauty! On the mountain, among the swaying trees, a house with a nice garden. The house seemed old but was in good condition. A caretaker was posted there, but he leaves before nightfall. I was lucky to have arrived early.
I parked my car in front of the house and took out some of my clothes and went inside to meet with the caretaker. The man was old. He was shocked when I told him that I wanted to stay for one night. He warned me that it was not safe to stay after nightfall. I should try in one of the resorts. I told him That there was no room available for the night and I just need a room for one night as I was very wary of the long hours on road. The man agreed but warned me to be careful. The man is definitely out of his wits! (That’s exactly what I thought).
The house didn’t have many rooms. One bedroom that overlooked the dark forest, a bathroom, a dining room and a kitchen. The rooms were not in good condition. I settled down in the bedroom, changed my clothes and made my bed. It was a cold night and the room was colder than outside. I was very tired and fell asleep as soon as I had lain down.
Suddenly, I was woken up by the sound of someone knocking at the door. The knocking continued in a rhythm. First on the main door, then on one of the windows and the next window. I remained on the bed, trying to listen. There was no sound of footsteps.
I got out of bed, angry and ready to catch the person knocking at the door. So I removed the curtains of one of the windows and peered outside with my nose sticking to the glass. Out of nowhere, there was a knock right on my window. I stood there frozen for a while. What just happened! Who knocked on the window?


I was scared out of my wits. In a hurry, I took whatever belonging I could grab and raced towards my car. I didn’t look back. When I got in my car, I drove it as fast as I could towards Guwahati. When I reached the city, I stopped my car near a restaurant. It was around 4 am. Finally, I was able to calm myself down and drove home. 

PREVIOUS                                                                               NEXT

Comments

Best article contest