A Tribute to my Grandmother, Dr Swarnalata Baruah

There is always a person during our childhood, whom we look up to. For me that person was my grandmother.


My grandmother wasn’t the one who would tell us folk stories of legends. Her stories comprised of historical events, facts and real Martyrs of war.
She was the only woman historian of Assam, India; the author of Chutiya Buranji, the only written record of the Chutiya tribe of Assam. She also authored the last days of Ahom Monarchy and Assam History. Most of the books written by her are now text books for students pursuing history.

From my childhood I grew up watching her deeply engrossed in books. In fact, I have read many notable books from her library, from Little Women by Louisa May Alcott to Shakespeare. I would always find her in her library and just sit beside her table and read from one of her books. She was also a great cook. I can still remember the taste of the puris and tok she made during the festivals. She was the ideal woman that I have always looked up to. Fiercely independent yet humble and soft spoken. She would always be calm and composed whatever the situation may be.

During the last moments of her life she suffered from Perkinson’s and dementia. She died on 3rd January, 2015. She was the most amazing person that I ever knew and her loss has left an empty space in my life that no one can fulfill. 


<

Comments

  1. U are keeping her alive by writing abt her. U are indeed a good grand daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She has not death, because a great Pearson always life in the mass . As a student I pray to Allah she will go heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to read her history books in my childhood days,I do have special place for her in my boyhood memories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How can I get her famous book "Chutia Buranji". I tried to buy from market but the book is not available in book stoles. Kindly help me to get the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can find in Bani mandir book store. Can ask them for a copy

      Delete
  5. My email id is joyantac53@Gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bought a book, “A comprehensive history of Assam”. Initially the author “SL Baruah” sounded masculine. But after reading the preface, it caught my attention, of the author being a female historian our region (which is rare). Then some net surfing brought me here. I must say, Dr. SL Baruah was a remarkable lady!

    ReplyDelete
  7. She is the first woman historian in assam I am glad she also talked about the Kalita people or we would be ignored thanks to her.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Best article contest